Are you a new homeowner? If you’ve only ever lived in apartments and this is your first home, there is a lot you need to learn about HVAC maintenance in Greenville, NC. From changing filters to scheduling maintenance, there is a little bit of a learning curve. With that in mind, here are 3 HVAC smart tips for new homeowners.
1. Know the HVAC System
Most importantly, you need to know what kind of HVAC system your Greenville, NC home is working with. Ask yourself: are you using central air conditioning, heat pumps, mini-split systems or a boiler? After learning exactly how your home is heated and cooled, find out what type of fuel it uses. In addition, it’s important to learn these key facts about your HVAC unit:
- Age: While some systems seem to last forever, most start experiencing problems after 10 or 15 years. For example, if you know if it’s 8 or so years old, know that you’ll have to replace it in the coming years.
- Efficiency rating: HVAC systems have SEER (seasonal energy efficiency ratio), EER (energy efficiency ratio), AFUE (annual fuel utilization efficiency) or HSPF (heating seasonal performance factor) ratings. The higher the rating, the more efficient a unit is. If you have a low rating, think about replacing it to save money in the long run.
- Warranty: Find out if it has a warranty. Learn how much time is left in and term and of course, what actions might void it.
- Maintenance Inspection Results: If the HVAC system was taken care of well, the previous owners hired HVAC professionals in _____ to perform scheduled maintenance. Make sure to ask for the inspection reports to learn about the types of issues the system has had in the past.
2. Remember to Change the Air Filters
It seems simple, but this is the most effective way to keep your HVAC unit running smoothly is to change its air filters as often as the manufacturer recommends. The frequency can range between one and six months. In addition, some thermostats remind you about filter changes.
3. Get the Help of an HVAC Specialist in Greenville, NC!
The best way to make sure your HVAC is off to a great start is by going ahead and calling an HVAC specialist. For more than two decades, Carolina Heating & Air Conditioning has provided quality heating and cooling services throughout Pitt and Beaufort Counties. We offer reliable HVAC maintenance in Greenville, NC and Washington, NC services, products, and installations for homes and businesses in our community. If you’re ready to get started, contact us today.